Thursday, April 19, 2012

Shrine of Valor...Bataan

As I write this entry, my head is actually confused whether I should start doing this blog or start doing my paper. But since I am so tamad writing my paper about Audit, I prefer continuing this post since it was already late.

April 9. Bataan Day

Every year, me and my cousins celebrates Bataan Day or "Araw ng Kagitingan" in Mt. Samat - where the scene of the most heroic defensive battle during World War II happened. We started this tradition just recently (2008, I think), although our parents are against it because they have this belief that there are some lost souls in Mt. Samat who claim lives of some youngsters/tourist during April 9. Weird? Yes, and me, together with my pasaway cousins don't believe it. :))


 Dambana ng Kagitingan

  
After 4 hours of hiking...

1 Kilometer pa to reach the cross...

Finally, we reached the entrance of the Mt. Samat park...few more meters to enter the cross

And here we are... Inside the famous cross of Mt. Samat!

Left wing...

 Emotero't Emotera.. well, yeah it runs in the family. lol

Picnic + Pahinga...one more time! we ate lunch in the park before going home.


How to get there:
From Manila to Bataan

Ride a bus (Cubao or Avenida), via Bataan Transit or Genesis, to Balanga. Travel time is 2.5-3 hours only.
From Balanga terminal, ride a jeepney to Pilar (tell the driver to drop you off in Mt. Samat entrance).
From the entrance of Mt. Samat... 4 hours walk is required to get into the top.

Enjoy!

Some Facts about Bataan:

  • Bataan peninsula is located southwards from the western shores of central Luzon, forming the enclosed and well-sheltered Manila Bay to the east that is nearly cut off from the open China Sea in the west.
  • Bataan was among the first provinces to rise in revolt against Spanish tyranny.
  • Dambana ng Kagitingan (Shrine of Valor) Pilar - Natural shrine atop Mt. Samat which immortalizes the agony of the Filipino and Americans against the forces of aggression and articulates the Commitment of the Filipino people to freedom and dignity.
  • Cayetano Arellano Marker - Located on Orion Town. This marks Orion, as the birthplace of the first Filipino Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
  • Jessica Sanchez (American Idol) and Janine Tugonon (Bb. Pilipinas- Universe) are both from Bataan. 
Although I only visit Bataan occasionally (coz I was born and raised here in Manila...), in my heart, I'm still proud to have a blood of a Balangueno (Dad is from Balanga).
AKO AY WORLD CLASS! PROUD TO BE A BATAENO!

No comments:

Post a Comment